SOCIAL & ECONOMIC ACTIVITY
UDC 65.011.14:331.44 ©V.P. Samarina , T.P. Skufina, A.V. Samarin,2022
ISSN 0041-5790 (Print) • ISSN 2412-8333 (Online) • Ugol’ – Russian Coal Journal, 2022, № 4, pp. 28-33
PROSPECTS FOR LIFE AND WORK IN THE ARCTIC: MINING EMPLOYEES’ OPINIONS
Samarina V.P.1, Skufina T.P.1, Samarin A.V.2
1Luzin Institute for Economic Studies, Federal Research Centre «Kola Science Centre of the Russian Academy of Sciences», Apatity, 184209, Russian Federation
2Starooskolsky Branch of Belgorod State National Research University, Stary Oskol, 309502,Russian Federation
Samarina V.P., Senior researcher, e-mail: samarina_vp@mail<st1< a="">:personname >.ru
Samarin A.V., Associate Professor of the Faculty of Education, e-mail:email@example.com
In this paper, the authors have studied current and future problems of the employees of a mining enterprise operating in harsh conditions of the Arctic, considering them in the context of the impact of one of the most important all-Russian social reforms of recent years i.e. a pension reform. The research has been based on the materials of employees’ surveys at the Kirov branch of JSC Apatit, a mining and processing complex as part of the PhosAgro holding Group. A representative sample of respondents has been carried out in accordance with gender, age, categories of industrial and production personnel and working conditions as well. The research has shown that the JSC Apatit employees’ reaction to the changes caused by the pension reform in many respects differs from other surveyed population groups’ reaction in the Russian Arctic. The obtained results bear witness to the significant stabilizing role in the socio-demographic processes of the city-forming enterprises that consolidate qualified labor resources in the industrial Arctic regions, what is especially important in a crisis.
Mining enterprises, Labor resources, Pension reform, Statistical research, City-forming enterprises, Russian Arctic.
1. Volkov A.D., Tishkov S.V., Karginova-Gubinova V.V. & Shcherbak A.P. Ecological problems of the Arctic region: state and dynamics in the perception of the population (results of a sociological survey in the territory of the Karelian Arctic). Region: ekonomika i sociologiya, 2021, (3), pp. 203-239. (In Russ.).
2. Volkov A. Human capital of the Каrеliаn Arctic in the implementation of the special eco-nomic regime of the rеgiоn. E3S Web of Conferences, 2020, (217), 07028.
3. Schmidt J., Aanesen M., Klokov K., Khrutschev S. & Hausner V. Demographic and economic disparities among Arctic regions. Polar Geography, 2015, (38), pр. 251-270.
4. Dregalo A.A. & Ulyanovsky V.I. The Arctic and the North: Risks of Social Management. Upravlencheskie aspekty razvitiya severnyh territorij Rossii, 2015, pp. 49-54. (In Russ.).
5. Khaininen L. Review of Arctic Policies and Strategies. Arktika i Sever, 2020, (39), pp. 195-202. (In Russ.).
6. Tishchenko T.V. Features of the activities of transnational corporations in the Arctic on the example of PJSC "Gazprom" and PJSC "NK Rosneft". Innovacii. Nauka. Obrazovanie. 2021, (39), pp. 712-720. (In Russ.).
7. Korchak E.A., Serova N.A., Emelyanova E.E. & Yakovchuk A.A. Human Capital of the Arctic: Problems and Development Prospects. IOP Conference Series: Earth and Environmental Science, 2019, (302), 012078.
8. Novikov A.V. Arctic vector of coal policy in the context of spatial development of coastal territories. Ugol’, 2022, (2), pp. 50-54. (In Russ.). DOI: 10.18796/0041-5790-2022-2-50-54.
9. Samarina V.P., Skuf'ina T.P. & Savon D.Y. Integrated assessment of sustainable development of mining and metallurgical holdings: problems and mechanisms for their resolution. Ugol’, 2021, (7), pp. 20-24. (In Russ.). DOI: 10.18796/0041-5790-2021-7-20-24.
10. Razovsky Yu.V., Vishnyakov Ya.D., Savelyeva E.Yu., Kiseleva S.P. & Makolova L.V. Arctic Route. Ugol’, 2019, (4), pp. 36-38. (In Russ.). DOI: 10.18796/0041-5790-2019-4-36-38.
11. Kryukov V.A. & Kryukov Y.V. Economics of the Arctic in a modern coordinate system. Kontury global'nyh transformacij: politika, ekonomika, pravo, 2019, (5), pp. 25-52. (In Russ.).
12. Gagiev N.N., Goncharenko L.P., Sybachin S.A. & Shestakova A.A. National projects in the Arctic zone of the Russian Federation. Arktika i Sever, 2020, (41), pp. 113-129. (In Russ.).
13. Povarich I.P. & Kharchenko A.P. Development of the mechanism for managing the reproduction of labor in the implementation of development strategies of the Russian North and Arctic. Russian Journal of Management, 2015, (3), pp. 123-132. (In Russ.).
14. Larchenko L.V. Gladkiy Yu.N. & Sukhorukov V.D. Resources for sustainable development of Russian Arctic territories of raw orientation / 4th International Scientific Conference "Arctic: History and Modernity", 2019. Vol. 302. 012121.
15. Socio-economic development of the north-arctic territories of Russia. Russia, Apatity, 2019. (In Russ.).
16. Korolev A.S. CASE-IN 2018: Course on the Arctic. Ugol’, 2018, (7), pp. 90-94. (In Russ.).
17. Socio-economic dynamics and prospects for the development of the Russian Arctic, taking into account geopolitical, macroeconomic, environmental and mineral resource factors. Russia, Apatity, 2021. (In Russ.).
18. Razovsky Yu.V., Gorenkova E.Yu., Kiseleva S.P., Kosyakova I.V. & Makolova L.V. Coal Arctic Income: Classification and Methodology of Evaluation. Ugol’, 2018, (7), pp. 42-44. (In Russ.). DOI: 10.18796/0041-5790-2018-7-42-44.
19. The Economy of the Modern Arctic: Effective Interaction and Management of Integral Risks at the Heart of Success. Russia, Apatity, 2020. (In Russ.).
20. Toropushina E.E. The influence of Raising the retirement age on the change in the medical and demographic reserves of the regions of the Arctic zone of the Russian Federation. Ekonomika truda, 2020, (7), pp. 617-630. (In Russ.).
21. Markin V.V. & Silin A.N. Human and social potential of neo-industrial development of the Arctic: sociological analysis, modeling, regulation. Ekonomicheskie i social'nye peremeny: fakty, tendencii, prognoz, 2017, (6), pp. 75-88. (In Russ.).
22. Fauser V.V. & Smirnov A.V. Migrations of the population of the Russian Arctic: models, routes, results. Arktika: ekologiya i ekonomika, 2020, (4), pp. 4-18. (In Russ.)
23. Samarina, V.P., Skufina, T. P. & Samarin, A.V. Russia's North Regions as Frontier Territories: Demographic Indicators and Management Features. European Research Studies Journal, 2018, (XXI), pp. 705-716.
24. On approval of the Lists of productions, works, professions, positions and indicators giving the right to preferential pension provision: Resolution of the Cabinet of Ministers of the USSR of 26.01.1991 No. 10 (as amended on 02.10.1991) URL: http://www.consultant.ru (In Russ.).
25. Skuf'ina T.P., Samarina V.P., Baranov S.V. & Bazhutova E.A. Socio-demographic processes in the Russian Arctic in statistical estimates and population surveys. Arktika i Sever, 2021, (45), pp. 127-149. (In Russ.).
The research was carried out at the expense of a grant from the Russian Science Foundation, project No RNF 22-28-0138
Samarina V.P., Skufina T.P., Samarin A.V. Prospects for life and work in the Arctic: mining employees’ opinions.Ugol’, 2022, (4), pp. 28-33. (In Russ.). DOI: 10.18796/0041-5790-2022-4-28-33.
Received March 3, 2022
Reviewed March 18, 2022
Accepted March 22, 2022