ECONOMIC OF MINING
UDC 336.012.23 © V.E. Ponamorenko, G.A. Nasyrova, G.S. Kodasheva, T.V. Schyukina, N.N. Konovalov, 2022
ISSN 0041-5790 (Print) • ISSN 2412-8333 (Online) • Ugol’ – Russian Coal Journal, 2022, № 4, pp. 61-66
TOPICAL ISSUES OF THE CRYPTOCURRENCY MINING IMPACT ON ENERGY SECURITY OF THE EURASIAN REGION (AS EXEMPLIFIED BY THE REPUBLIC OF KAZAKHSTAN AND THE RUSSIAN FEDERATION)
Ponamorenko V.E.1, Nasyrova G.A.2, Kodasheva G.S.2, SchyukinaT.V.1, Konovalov N.N.1
1 Institute of Management Technologies, MIREA - Russian Technological University, Moscow, 119454, Russian Federation
2Gumilyev Eurasian National University, Nur-Sultan, 010008, Republic of Kazakhstan
Ponamorenko V.E.,Doctor of Law, Associate Professor, Professor at the Department of Applied Law, e-mail: firstname.lastname@example.org
Nasyrova G.A., Doctor of Economic Sciences,Professor, Head of the Finance Department, e-mail: email@example.com
Kodasheva G.S., DoctorPhD, Associate Professor of the Finance Department,e-mail: firstname.lastname@example.org
Schyukina T.V., Doctor of Law, Professor, Head of the Department of Applied Law, e-mail: email@example.com
Konovalov N.N., PhD (Law), Associate Professor, Associate Professor of the Department of Applied Law,e-mail: firstname.lastname@example.org
The publication addresses the impact of cryptocurrency mining on the energy security of the Republic of Kazakhstan and the Russian Federation, two of the top three countries in the world in terms of cryptocurrency mining. The article analyzes statistical data that reflect the dynamics of increasing cryptocurrency mining in the Republic of Kazakhstan and the Russian Federation, reviews expert opinions on the advantages and downsides of the dramatic growth of mining activity in the two countries, and considers the regulatory solutions proposed by regulators and the expert community in both countries. Conclusions are made regarding the need to streamline the legal regulation of cryptocurrency mining in Russia and Kazakhstan, including the issues of its taxation.
Mining, Cryptocurrency, Energy, Security, Bitcoin, Taxation.
2. China’s share of global bitcoin mining plunges while Kazakhstan climbs to third place. Available at: https://www.cnbc.com/2021/07/15/china-share-of-bitcoin-mining-falls-while-kazakhstan-surges.html(accessed 15.03.2022).
3. Crypto-mining in Kazakhstan: regulation, prospects and obstacles. Available at: https://media.sigen.pro/regulation/7973 (accessed 15.03.2022).(In Russ.).
4. Minister of Energy of Kazakhstan met with the legal miners.Available at:https://forbes.kz/process/energetics/ministr_energetiki_rk_vstretilsya_s_belyimi_maynerami/?utm_source=forbes&utm_medium=incut_fw&utm_campaign=262961 (accessed 15.03.2022).(In Russ.). .
5. The minister complained to Tokayev about the illegal miners. Available at:https://forbes.kz/process/energetics/ministr_pojalovalsya_tokaevu_na_seryih_maynerov/?utm_source=forbes&utm_medium=incut&utm_campaign=262146(accessed 15.03.2022). (In Russ.).
6. Law of the Republic of Kazakhstan "On amendments and supplements to the Code of the Republic of Kazakhstan "On taxes and other obligatory payments to the budget" (Tax Code). Available at: https://online.zakon.kz/Document/?doc_id=39065865(accessed 15.03.2022).(In Russ.).
7. On approval of forecast balances of electric power and capacity for 2022-2028. Available at:https://www.gov.kz/memleket/entities/energo/documents/details/254892?lang=ru(accessed 15.03.2022).(In Russ.).
8. Blackout: Kazakhstan's power grids are running ragged. Available at: https://www.korem.kz/rus/press-centr/novosti_otrasli/?cid=0&rid=9624(accessed 15.03.2022).(In Russ.).
9. Statistics of energy and commodity markets. Available at: https://stat.gov.kz/official/industry/30/statistic/5 (accessed 15.03.2022).(In Russ.).
10. Turn the lights off: the expert identified the scale of Kazakhstan's electricity problem.Available at: https://lsm.kz/ekspert-ob-elektroenergetike(accessed 15.03.2022).(In Russ.).
11. Information statement on restrictions as of November 04, 2021. Available at:https://www.kegoc.kz/ru/press-center/press-releases/155652/(accessed 15.03.2022). (In Russ.).
12. Tokaev instructed to identify all mining farms and raise the tax. Available at: https://tengrinews.kz/kazakhstan_news/vyiyavit-mayningovyie-fermyi-povyisit-nalog-poruchil-tokaev-461376/(accessed 15.03.2022).(In Russ.).
13. Two challenges for the Russian energy industry due to crypto-mining. Available at:https://www.bfm.ru/news/483693 (accessed 15.03.2022).(In Russ.).
14. The Council of Electricity Producers and Strategic Electricity Investors Association: the growth of "domestic" cypto-mining negatively affects the cross-subsidization in the power industry. Available at: https://1prime.ru/News/20220128/835922613.html?utm_source=yxnews&utm_medium=desktop(accessed 15.03.2022).(In Russ.).
15. Miners bleed white the Russian electrical generation. Available at:https://www.mk.ru/economics/2021/12/09/maynery-obeskrovili-rossiyskoe-elektrichestvo.html (accessed 15.03.2022).(In Russ.).
16. Residential energy consumption in Russia may grow by 2.5 times due to crypto-miners. Available at:https://www.banki.ru/news/lenta/?id=10957767(accessed 15.03.2022).(In Russ.).
17. Volnyakova O.A., Consideration of the economic question from a moral point of view in Russian philosophy at the turn of the XIX and XX centuries. Russian technological journal, 2016, Vol. 4, (5), pp. 101-107.
18. Risks associated with crypto-currencies and possible regulatory measures: a report for public consultation. Moscow, Bank of Russia Publ., 2022. (In Russ.).
19. Concept of legislative regulation of digital currencies as of February 8, 2022. Available at: http://government.ru/news/44519(accessed 15.03.2022).(In Russ.).
20. Russian Association of Cryptoeconomics, Artificial Intelligence and Blockchain proposed a taxation scheme for crypto-currencies and crypto-mining. Available at: https://www.forbes.ru/finansy/455029-associacia-blokcejna-predlozila-minfinu-shemu-nalogooblozenia-kriptovalut-assotsiatsiya-kriptovalyut-i-blok(accessed 15.03.2022).(In Russ.).
21. The State Duma announced the minimum amount of taxes for crypto-miners. Available at:https://forklog.com/v-gosdume-nazvali-minimalnyj-razmer-nalogov-dlya-majnerov/ (accessed 15.03.2022). (In Russ.).
22. The Chamber of Commerce and Industry of the Russian Federation proposed to consider crypto-mining equal to entrepreneurship.Available at: https://forklog.com/torgovo-promyshlennaya-palata-rf-predlozhila-priravnyat-majning-k-predprinimatelstvu/ (accessed 15.03.2022). (In Russ.).
23. Russian power engineering experts presented measures to control illegal crypto-miners.Available at:https://forklog.com/rossijskie-energetiki-predstavili-predlozheniya-dlya-borby-s-nelegalnymi-majnerami/ (accessed 15.03.2022). (In Russ.).
Ponamorenko V.E., Nasyrova G.A., Kodasheva G.S., SchyukinaT.V. &. KonovalovN.N. Topical issues of the cryptocurrency mining impact on energy security of the Eurasian region (as exemplified by the Republic of Kazakhstan and the Russian Federation). Ugol’, 2022, (4), pp. 61-66. (In Russ.). DOI: 10.18796/0041-5790-2022-4-61-66.
Received February 2, 2022
Reviewed February 16, 2022
Accepted March 22, 2022